CleanAds

Friday, February 9, 2018

Cutting the Cord

Does anyone else feel like changes come in waves around their house? I feel that our house is like that all the time. I feel like things are all status quo or we makes loads of changes, no middle ground at all. When we started renovating our living room (into a bar space, more to come later), the conversation went back to cutting the cord on cable.

This conversation started last fall, when I did all my research and showed the Hubby how much we could save. He did not really buy into, it so we continued on with cable. Fast forward 3 months and we are running new electrical in the living room and talking about putting the tv on the wall. When this conversation comes up, he says we really should look into cutting the cord, it would save on running more cable lines for this project and the big basement renovation that is on the block next.

I am sure you can guess my reaction, but trying to be smart and know that I could get my way, I remember the new tv sitting in a box in the basement.

*** Side note.... there was a brand new smart tv in a box in the basement just waiting for a home. Because on a snowy day in December, when apparently I needed a new car (my lease is not up until March) we got an SUV and a tv because the guy really wanted to sell a car that day.

So I went down stairs to finally look at this tv and see it is Roku equipped already. We plugged the tv in and set it up in the Living Room with a week trial of Sling TV. My Hubby was able to still see all his shows and watch Sports, he was sold (finally!!).



I called the cable company and actually upped our internet speeds and cut the cable off for good and was still saving money.

So there is a little bit of start up cost with cutting the cord, we are going with the Roku and Sling TV  route so we needed a few Roku products to make the switch (1 new tv check!) Our Sling TV sign up gave us this Roku Ultra as a bonus

This went on our main tv in the Family Room, then for the Master Bedroom we went with the cheaper Roku Express, because that would do the job fine for that room.

Finally, I wanted a Roku Streaming Stick to use for the tv that will go in the basement (currently out of the living room and waiting for walls to go up) that could also be used in the Guest Room. I was happy to see at the same time this one was on sale!

We were all set with our  Roku and Sling TV at this point. I will say so far so good. I actually think we are watching less tv and being more intentional about what we do watch, and I am paying less. There is a little start up cost involved with the Roku equipment, but for just over $100 I was set and ready to go.

Any advise on favorite Roku channels we might not have found?


No comments:

Post a Comment