CleanAds

Friday, December 3, 2010

Green Beans my way

I love green beans but am not a huge fan of the “Green Bean Casserole” that appears all over the place come Holiday season. (Sorry Campbell’s that version is just too soupy for me.) So this year I decided that I would create a new more healthy version of this dish. I knew this would be a problem because it would have to please my not overly healthy conscious dad! So here is my Healthy Green Bean Casserole:

First thing is to chop up 2 shallots (or if you do not have any shallots 1/2 a red onion works fine –right Hubby?). Place some olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the shallot (or onion) and soften. Add in 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms and cook until brown. While those are cooking whisk 2 tsp of cornstarch into 3/4 cup of stock (we used chicken but you can use whatever you have). When the mushrooms are ready add 1 lb of green beans (we used frozen beans, thawed and drained) to the skillet with the stock mixture. Cook over medium until the beans are warm and the sauce has thickened. Finally add 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt and top with fried onions.

This dish was a big hit. The flavors are the same as the original recipe but it is much lighter and less “soupy” so I really enjoyed it. I even saved the leftovers for later. And my Dad did not notice the difference, score on this recipe!

What are some holiday dishes you would like to make healthier?

No comments:

Post a Comment