Excitement abounds when it is learned that a couple is expecting a child. It is a wondrous occasion that deserves the attention that it gets. But don’t let that excitement fade too quickly.
If you are pregnant take that excitement into a mindset of staying healthy, including exercising. Working out is a fabulous way for women to stay vibrant and full of energy during their nine months of carrying a child. Although it is important to note that there are certain aspects of exercise that an expectant mom should stay away from including:
· High impact exercises that involve jumping, bouncing, skipping or hopping
· Workouts that include deep knee bends, straight leg toe touches or double leg raises
· Any contact sports like softball, volleyball or basketball
· Sports that have a high likelihood of falling such as skiing and riding a horse
· Activities that force you to hold your breath for a long period of time
· Or exercises that require intense activity with long rest periods in between.
Although it is important to talk with your doctor about what the best exercises are for you, it is also important to know that being pregnant does not mean you are stuck to the couch. On the contrary, check out these exercises that are perfect for most expectant moms…
- Swimming: enjoying a nice swim in a lake or pool is fabulous for mommies-to-be in the summer. Not only does it help cool you down, but it is also a superb way to get yourself away from the nasty effects of gravity. Give your knees and ankles a little break by swimming, and use the time to feel the beautiful effects of weightlessness.
- Brisk Walking: Walking with purpose is a wonderful way to get your heart rate up while avoiding the pounding on your joints that running can do. This is also a great way for a person that is new to exercising to get up and do something. Try short walks at first, and then work your way into longer strolls. Walking is also a great activity for the spouse to get involved in as well, as it gives a chance for the couple to have quiet chatting time.
- Indoor Stationary Cycling: It is true that a pregnant lady should be careful riding her bike out on the streets. But that is not to say she can’t get some pedaling in indoors. Stationary cycles are great to get the heart rate up and keep it up in a steady and safe way.
- Elliptical Machines: an elliptical or step machine is an excellent way to get exercise while pregnant. It is easy on the joints, while working the entire body at the same time, offering a way to get the best of both worlds in exercise.
- Yoga: possibly one of the best activities for a pregnant woman, yoga offers not only a way to eliminate stress, but it also provides a way to connect with the breath which is vital in the labor aspect of pregnancy. Yoga also increases flexibility and releases toxins from the body, aiding the mother in feeling her best.
Kishana Sainte writes on health and lifestyle topics on behalf of MyDocHub.com, a trusted source for patient reviews of doctors and other healthcare professionals. You can learn more about MyDocHub at http://www.mydochub.com