CleanAds

Friday, November 19, 2010

Veggie Mac and Cheese

A while back, Hubby and I made a mac and cheese with veggies added in.  Although this dish was good we both agreed it could have been better. A cheese sauce we decided would have been much better. So last week I decided to try and improve upon this dish.
First thing I did was put some squash from the Reading Terminal Market trip into the oven to roast. While the squash was roasting I put the pasta in to boil.
Complete with more frozen mixed veggies to steam.

Next time to sauté the mushrooms and onions.

Add those to the squash that is now done, and on to my cheese sauce.
 
I melted 2 tbsp butter in the onion/mushroom pan and added 2 tbsp flour stirring with a whisk. I heated 1 1/2 cups of soy milk in the microwave and then added the milk to the butter-flour mixture. I cooked it for 2 minutes then added my cheese.
The cheese was a mixture of Swiss, mozzarella, Colby jack and parm. I add a little nutmeg and it was ready to go. I drained the pasta, then added the pasta and veggies to the squash mixture. I stirred in my cheese sauce, topped with more parm and some bread crumbs and into the oven it went.
350 degrees for 25-30 minutes and this was ready to go.
The cheese sauce made the dish so much better. Can’t wait to try it again with different veggies! (This dish feed us for several nights and it was even great reheated, always a plus for me!)
Picasa Content

No comments:

Post a Comment